Dodgers vs Reds | Garvey vs Perez | Ep 34
Dodgers vs Reds | His manager, Sparky Anderson, said he was the “heart and soul” of the team. No small matter since that team was Cincinnati’s Big Red Machine of the 1970’s.
Dodgers vs Reds | The Players
Tony Perez was that player and his plaque can be found in the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown.
Perez took home two World Series rings with the Reds in the four World Series appearances by that team. He put together an amazing seven seasons in which he drove in at least 100 runs.
During those years, the rivalry for the NL West’s top spot saw the Reds and Dodgers battle year after year.
On the Dodger side, Steve Garvey was at first base as part of the longest running infield in history. With Ron Cey, Bill Russell and Davey Lopes, Garvey anchored first for a team that went head-to-head with the Reds for postseason honors.
Garvey is a 10-time All-Star with 4 Gold Gloves and a NL MVP award in 1974. In 55 postseason games he posted a .338 average, including hitting .319 in 28 World Series games.
Two outstanding MLB veterans, two high-powered teams and two sides to the story of the Dodgers/Reds race for the ring in an ongoing battle of the 70’s.
Here is the story of that rivalry in the words of two of baseball’s best – Tony Perez and Steve Garvey.
Be sure to subscribe to the Sports Rivals podcast to listen to this rivalry on your favorite podcast app:
If you loved this episode, check out our others:
- The Crawl of Fame | Ep 1
- 1985 American League Championship | Ep 2
- Red Sox-Yankees Rivalry | Ep 3
- 1984 Tigers vs Blue Jays | Ep 4
- 2002 World Series | Giants vs Angels | Ep 5
- UCLA vs Arizona | NCAA Mens’ Basketball | Ep 6
- ACC College Basketball | MD vs VT | Ep 7
- Army vs Navy | NCAA Football | Ep 8
- GM vs Agent | Major League Baseball | Ep 9
- 1988 NLCS | Dodgers vs Mets | Ep 10
- In The Press Box | Nightengale vs Miller | Ep 11
- Reporters | Adamson vs Coakley | Ep 12
- Coaches | Raftery vs Carlesimo | Ep 13
- Pitchers | Blyleven vs Langston | Ep 14
- Public Relations | Horwitz vs Swanson | Ep 15
- Swimming | USA vs East Germany | Ep 16
- 1983 Sugar Bowl | PSU vs GA | Ep 17
- OSU vs Oregon | NCAA Basketball | Ep 18
- Olympic Diving | Potter vs King | Ep 19
- HOF Pitchers | Palmer vs Eckersley | Ep 20
- Ironman World Championships | Iron War | Ep 21
- 1981 London Marathon | A Historical First | Ep 22
- 1984 College World Series | Ep 23
- Placekickers | Stenerud vs Benirschke | Ep 24
- For Love of the Game | Lyons vs Hudler | Ep 25
- Arizona vs Stanford | NCAA Basketball | Ep 26
- 2003 ALCS | Boone vs Walker | Ep 27
- NHL Bargaining | McPhee & Scott | Ep 28
- MLB Closers | Brantley & Shaw | Ep 29
- AFL | Flores vs Maguire | Ep 30
- NHL | Robitaille vs Granato | Ep 31
- Super Bowl TV | Gaudelli vs Zyontz | Ep 32